Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Contemplation

Christ tells us in the gospels that we are supposed to have a childlike faith and I have been applying this idea to contemplative prayer.  Recently, after engaging in centering prayer for twenty minutes and watching a related video, my prayer group was asked to reflect on our experience.  A member struggling with intrusive thoughts during prayer, sparked an analogy that I believe describes my experience; I compare contemplative prayer to being put to bed as a young child.  The sacred word, used to focus attention during prayer sets the tone of the experience, sort of like the bedtime story sets the tone for sleep.  I listen to my thoughts from a distance, not engaging in conversation, but simply allowing them to exist; they remind me of the adult conversation I heard from the living room as I lay in bed.  As prayer progresses, emotions and ideas that cannot be describe by words flow past me, just like they did when I was falling asleep, as a child.  Finally, there is a dark, nothingness and a closeness; without thought or emotion; both are left behind in another room.  As a child, it was sleep, as a contemplative adult, it is an alert state; a meeting place for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment