Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Personal Responsibility

What is personal responsibility? It seems to me that a lot of Christian talk about demonic attacks and temptations, indicating many believe that the Devil is responsible for our bad behavior. I also think that nonbelievers have this stereotype about us.

I once heard a nonbeliever comment on a popular Christian bumper-sticker "I am not perfect, but God is not finished with me yet" as "I am not responsible, but I am right". Now when I first heard his commentary I simply dismissed it because I knew he was jaded, but now I am beginning to wonder....

Is refusing to take personal responsibility the crux of our problem? It seems to be the biggest fault of Adam and Eve - they blamed the Devil for their sin - in fact, they never repented. I am wondering if God's punishment was so severe because of this shifting of blame.

1 comment:

  1. Or, "Not perfect, just forgiven."

    How about changing it to, "Not perfect, but responsible." ;-) Somehow that doesn't sound as fun or fit many versions of current Christianity.

    Back in my Messianic days, responsibility fit very well. God set down his commandments for his people, "Who else is responsible for keeping them??"

    In Matthew 5, and other places we are reminded that we will be held accountable for every action...even every word and thought. In other words, there's no room for fooling God with pretense. And, "He's no respecter of persons." No favorites with him.

    If God is apt to punish, I too am afraid of his wrath, but tend to be even more afraid when I imagine lying to him about what he already knows. For the believer, what other response is there than admission/confession and repentance (turning)? From this moment, choose right.

    Being more of a Zen persuasion these days, my terms and methods have changed a bit, but the need for personal responsibility still seems as relevant as ever. Yet, when I consider the many causes of things. I see that so many actions arise from things like genetics, upbringing, societal forces, diet, illness, injury, etc. So there's plenty of room for grace or compassion always, even when there must be consequences for our actions.

    I do believe there is that one spark within, awareness or volition, that brings the final responsibility down on us. Not necessarily for judgement and damnation, but for any hope of change and the resulting consequences of beneficial or non-beneficial actions, thoughts and emotions.

    I like the words attributed to the Buddha, "We are not punished for our anger, but by it." All our ill deeds carry in the the seeds of suffering and unhappiness for us and all beings...

    ReplyDelete